I started with 6 cups of liquid, which should have been a tip-off. The brown bowl (already 1/2 full!) holds the "sponge," which is the liquid with a mere 2 cups of flour added.
Then I added more flour. And more, and more, and more. The recipe called for "at least" 10 cups of flour to be added to the sponge. This would have been a warning, had I been reading my recipe carefully at all! As it is, I ended up emptying my white flour bin, and going over to wheat flour to finish the job. Not really a big deal, but I try to follow bread recipes exactly the first time I do them.
You have to take a moment to appreciate the fact that Jack has his own whisk and spoon for helping me cook. These aren't even baby toys -- they're legitimate kitchen items that were in my collection long before he arrived!
Chris, if you're reading this you will note I'm wearing the shirt you left at my house two Christmases ago. :) Also don't be mad about me using white flour. That's not my usual. Honest! :P
So here is the unrisen behemoth bread lump. I had to put it into THREE bowls to rise, because it would have overflowed any other way. (Doubly so, with the salt missing, so I'm glad I was cautious!) My wedding/engagement rings are on there to show you the scale. The dang thing was big enough to swallow a cat!
So anyway, I'm trying out a bunch of new recipes, and this one is from a restaurant cookbook. I thought I had cut it down to size, but obviously not! I was so dazzled by having to add 10-12 cups of flour that I completely forgot to add the 2 Tbsp of salt during that step.
So now I have five very fat, happily risen, tasty-looking and completely saltless loaves.
At least they're still basically tasty, as we discovered when we dug into the first one. They definitely need something to accompany them, though. Come to think of it, they may become French toast for the next three months or so. :)